The Godfather of Usability, Jakob Nielsen, Get’s a Grilling – Podcast Episode 67
There is one name in the world of Usability that gets name checked more than any other, Jakon Nielsen. He’s a controversial figure but one of the worlds leading authorities on making your website more usable. We were lucky enough to ask him a few questions for this weeks podcast episode.
- Is Usability getting better or worse?
- Why Twitter and Facebook is ruining your usability
- Banner Advertising hasn’t worked for 13 years
- The changing issues in usability
- Why home page slideshows don’t work.
- Do you think Google’s considering page load time to improve user experience or to reduce the load on their servers.
- Google have always understood the importance of speed in usability
- The difference between websites that communicate and those that provide information
- Short term memories impact on your websites content.
- Does the reason Wikipedia rank so well because of it “Jakob Nielsen-Style” design?
- People don’t go to website to admire them.
- Don’t spend all your website budget on design, it should be a small part of the cost not all of it.
- What do you make of Twitter’s simple design?
- Twitter is simple in some ways but complicated in lots of others.
- Twitter has atrocious finability
- 140 characters leads to shallow-ness
- You’re a big critic of Flash, do you think with HTML5 Flash is doomed?
- The abuse of flash
- Using flash in the in the right way
- Why Apple don’t want flash on the iPad
- Does it every frustrate you that after 10-15 years people still don’t follow your advice
- Don’t make old mistakes make new ones
- Search volumes in prices
- Eyetracking Web Usability on Amazon UK or US
- Prioritizing Web Usability on Amazon UK or US
- Usability Week 2010 London, San Francisco & Toronto
As always you can get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, leaving us a comment at http://www.internetmarketingpodcast.org or using the Twitter hashtag #impc or leave us a voicemail question on +44 1273 256 150